Filipino Boxing is similar to Western Boxing but uses elbows, headbutts and knees as well as foot stamps and some low line kicks. In some circles it is referred to as “dirty boxing” or “street boxing”. It is taught alongside Western Boxing using various influences Guro Rebecca has learned training closely with some of the finest Grand Masters of Filipino Martial arts around the world.
Hand speed, co ordination and reflexes are improved as is confidence.
Students are able to grade under Guro Rebecca in kombat curriculum or kickboxing curriculum as well as training to keep fit and learn self defence skills.
Grading is promoted to students training at the Academy as it is an excellent way to measure improvement over time and ensures that students put in an adequate amount of practice from week to week, month to month and year to year.
Grading in the filipino arts is different to other arts...its not just about learning singular moves and getting to a black belt within 3 years. In the Filipino Arts you learn to apply moves and combine them in and out of our basic drills for example Hubud which is an entry drill. You could study these basic drills for over 10 years and still keep learnning new things.
The beauty about Filipino Arts is "You never know everything, once starting you will study and keep learning for the rest of your life! it is a non static art unlike karate it doesn't stay still it evolves as an attacker doesn't stay still when attacking you. Huddersfield now has a full time Academy dedicated to introducing the Filipino Martial Arts to the general public" Guro Rebecca
You may have without knowing seen Filipino Arts in various films. You may have assumed that it was kung fu or wing chun due to some similarities within these artforms.
Films showing Filipino Martial Arts
- Enter the Dragon (1973) Starring Bruce Lee
- Sticks of Death (1979) Starring GM Roland Dantes
- The Pacific Connection () Starring GM Roland Dantes
- Game of Death (1979) Starring Bruce Lee
- Sharkeys Machine (1981) Starring Burt Reynolds
- Fire in the night (1985) Starring Garciella Cassilas
- Kamakong (Tagalog) Starring Garciella Cassilas
- Exposure (1991)
- Out for justice (1991)
- Under Siege (1992)
- Rambo 3 (1998)
- Kiss of the Dragon (2001)
- Equilibrium (2002)
- Blade 2 (2002)
The Bourne Identity (2002)
- Scorpian King (2002)
- Ballistic: Ecks Vs Sever (2002)
- Underworld (2003)
- Daredevil (2003)
- Matrix Reloaded (2003)
- The Hunted (2003) Starring Tommie lee jones, Benecio del tora
- The Bourne Supremacy (2004)
- Chronicles of Riddick (2004)
- Resident Evil Appocalypse (2004)
- Mano Y Mano (Tagalog) (2004) Starring Ronnie Ricketts, Gwen Garcia, Leila Kuzma
- Mission Impossible 3 (2006)
- Ultraviolet (2006)
- Underworld Evolution (2006)
- The Bourne Ultimatum (2007)
- Resident Evil Extinction (2007)
- Underworld: Rise of the Lycans (2009)
- The Three Musketeers (2011)
- Sucker Punch (2011)
- Underworld Awakening (2012)
If you have seen these films and thought i'd like to do that... you should definately book into one of our beginners courses and get started training at Kane Academy. Yorkshires finest Filipino Martial Arts training centre.